Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Snow Day

It's a blizzard, quite literally. I was a little skeptical with all the hoopla and school/business closings. This upstate New York girl grew up with lake effect snow, we didn't get snow days! Blizzard like conditions were the norm, or so I remember. But man, we got a lot of snow! Daniel stayed home despite the storm not starting till mid morning and I'm so glad. It changed very quickly to heavy snow that accumulated fast. Daniel very diligently worked upstairs in our office till about 4pm. I'm thankful for a husband that doesn't cheat the system and really did stay focused while working from home. I do wish at times he wouldn't be so focused and would come play with us... but I think I'll take a dedicated worker over a slacker. Way to go babe!

Memories from today:

  • Caden woke up from his nap, looked out the window and said, "Mom! There is so much snow. It better stop or there will be no snow left for later days."
  • We spent our snow day baking and playing. It was really nice not to try to get any household stuff done and just enjoy our day together.
  • We made a lemon cake and jello jigglers.
  • We had a movie night with VeggieTales
  • Aliyah had her fingernails painted for the first time. She keep looking at them and smiling then asking all three of us to look at them. It was so sweet. She is getting so big! I love my little girl.
  • Caden has a large chapped red spot on his cheek. I asked him what it was from and he said, "It's from my sleeve. I use it to wipe my nose and my cheek doesn't like it."

Yesterday during nap time, Caden decided not to sleep. He was very quiet for about and hour and half, but I have a rule with him that he has to stay in his bed for 2 hours. Excessive I know, but he's a clock watcher and a smart boy, and I want to give him plenty of opportunity to be able to fall asleep. I told him he could get up when the clock said 3,3,0. So he sat there for 30 min just watching the clock. When it finally turned to 3:30 he started yelling for me.

Sidenote: Caden doesn't get out of his bed. No matter how many times we tell him what time he can get up, it's very rare that he actually climbs out of bed. Instead, he just yells and yells and yells until someone comes into his room.

That day I decided to see how long the yelling would last. "MOMMMMYYYYYY!!!!", over and over and over again. Different voice inflections, different volumes, different pitches, and different variations of the word mom. Kinda of humorous... kind of. The clock was going on 8 minutes when I finally went upstairs. I walked in and stood in his doorway with my arms folded and a scowl on my face showing my displeasure with his yelling. As soon as he saw me he folded his arms across his chest and said, "Mom, I am very frustrated with you. You did not come when I called. I've been waiting and waiting and calling and calling and you did not come. I am very very frustrated." He had the cutest little pout on his face and was being so serious, I couldn't help it. I burst out laughing. I was laughing so hard I couldn't talk. He saw how "funny" he was and quickly got over his frustration... and helped me get over mine.

No comments: